It's Not Just Your Life

 A common misconception when you get married, is that you still have a life outside of your spouse. You do, in a sense. But now you have a partner. Partner in crime, friend, lover. It's not just your life anymore. Then you have kids. You now have at least two extra people in your life. 

The way you live your life has a direct impact on your family. If you travel all the time, you run the risk of losing a close connection with your spouse and children. If the way you respond to confrontation is anger and shouting, then you need to take a pause and figure out your emotion. Anger and yelling should never be the way to resolve conflict. 

One of the most shelfish things you can say to a spouse is, "it's MY life." Yes. You have a life. But consider the woman/man you married. They gave up a part of their life for you. Independence, a job, own living space, privacy. It's a partnership, not a competition. 

I hope I never hear those words from my spouse. I hope I never think those words. I am sure there will be moments, but that is why we die to self. 

In the Bible, God talks about how husbands are supposed to love their wives as Christ loves the church. Wifes are supposed to honor, support, and respect their husbands. The phrase, "It's MY life" does not do that for either party. 

I am not perfect. I never will be. But there are definitely things I've decided I won't be doing. Or things I will strive not to do. 

Selfishness has no place in the home. Teach your children with your actions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 weeks pregnant, cooking, and more.

The church, their responsibilities, and how it can effect mindsets.